9 Oct. 2011
Hi everyone. This is my first time to enter something on the blog and it is my turn for rebuttal. Well, may be I won't, because most of what Teresa has told you is true. I have to admit that the part about my driving is true and that I continue to catch myself thinking that I am on the wrong side of the road. I just got back from church without my companion because she is struggling right now with her back spasms. We are learning to take it easy when she starts having those problems. The members of our branch are wonderful humble people.
We are saying goodbye this week to our missionary couple that has been training us and who have been our support system. They are the Orths. They are both from Eastern Australia and they met many years ago when they were missionaries right here in Albany. The Lord brought them right back to the same area where they found each other. They introduced us to an old gentleman who was found and was baptized by Elder Orth. He is now the Executive Secretary in the Branch. How's that for watching the Lord's handiwork? We believe that He has also sent us here for an important purpose.
We met with a man last week who was a former contact of the missionaries and he actually came to church for the first time today.
I think Teresa has mentioned that the prices of everything here are much higher. Someone told me that it is because their wages are higher. Everyone makes more money on the average than we do. We have been to the store a number of times and it has cost us plenty. When I go to the store to buy things, everyone wants to see my name tag and they notice that I am all dressed up so I try to be a nice boy. Well, the other day I had some things in my hand and I reached down to pick out a large bottle of pickles. Just my luck, someone had unscrewed the lid and when I picked it up the whole bottle tipped over in the isle and pickles went everywhere including the juice. A number of people watched the exhibitiion and one lady said, "oh isn't that embarrassing". I quickly told the manager and got out of there pronto.
We wore our missionary clothes and name tags on the long flight over to Australia and I probably had 12 different people just glance at my name tag and ask questions like, "Oh could we get another pillow?" or "May I take one of those apples in the bowl on the counter?" or "Do you have more orange juice?" To all of these questions, I would answer, "Sure, have anything you want."
I'm learning to have more fun in the process of some stressful moments. Elder Ashby
3 comments:
Elder Ashby:
I enjoyed reading your post this evening. I have laughed at so many things you and Sister Ashby have said and experienced. Your encounter with a slippery pickle jar reminded me of similar incident on my mission. While shopping at a grocery store in Maryland, I accidently dropped a glass jar of peanut butter. Of course it broke and made a mess. But my bad luck wasn't over; before I left the store I accidently dropped a glass jar of mayonnaise! I was so embarrassed to have the same clerk clean up another one of my costly messes. Thank goodness for modern plastic jars!
It is good to hear your adventure and hope you both keep out of trouble at the store and have the excitement that makes the mission work. Love you guys, Susie
I am sorry to say that I am laughing so hard at your misfortune but it is fun to hear all these funny things. We love you! Erin
Post a Comment