Tuesday, October 4, 2011

3 October 2011

This is Monday morning now.  I guess you are finished now with General Conference.  Next Sunday they will show the first session at church, but the other sessions will have to be shown at firesides in the coming months.  I hope we can view them here at our flat for part of our companionship study.  I have now been called officially as the Gospel Doctrine teacher for the younger adult class, and Elder Ashby has been sustained as the Institute teacher.  More to come, I'm sure.

  We went out further into the country to the home of one of the couples in Albany Branch for a BBQ and bonfire on Saturday evening, where we met many of the members.  They all come over to greet you when you first come, even the children, who all gave the Orths a hug the moment they got out of the car, as if they had been their grandparents.  So much love.  Many of them seem poor and kind of misfit, if you will pardon my saying it, but as you get to know them, they have a great deal to offer.  They are just like rough country folk back home but have great generous hearts.  Everyone accepts everyone else, and they are like a lovely big family.

One of the young missionaries, Elder Louw, from Brisbane, I think, is leaving here after several months, this being his favorite area.  He and his companion, Elder Martin (from Aukland, N.Z.) did the Huka  (sp?)(Mouri dance) for us in front of the huge bonfire.  We saw our first kangaroos, as they came out of the bush there and hopped by.  I got a picture, but it's hard to see them.  You have to be watchful at night so that you don't hit them, sort of like deer at home.  Sister Orth hit an emu with her car some time back too!

Sunday was amazing.  There were many more members at church, all eager to greet us and see what we are like.  They are expecting a lot from us because of the Orths.  I hope we don't disappoint them.  I bore my testimony in R.S. about how their struggles had strengthened them, and how we can feel their love here, and the Spirit of the Lord.  I said that I had had so much through my life, having been raised in Utah, not like they, who are Australian pioneers.  They nodded their heads as if to say they were glad I acknowledged it.

Since it was Fast Sunday, we went to a "Fast Breaker," for first the older group, who call themselves "The Wise Ones," and later the younger group, who call themselves "The Young Ones."  This is a monthly tradition started by the Orths where they take turns meeting at one of the member's home; everyone brings a "plate," which means a main dish, and a dessert--a potluck!  After eating and visiting for a while, we were given the floor to introduce ourselves and tell about us, so I told the story of our meeting each other, hamming it up real well as I went.  They loved it!  They all asked questions, and I told them that Elder Ashby had not married early because he was a professional "dater!"  They roared!  I said that I didn't mean it in a bad way, but that he had had lots of girls on the string.  They laughed and laughed and teased and had a good ole time.  We had so much fun with them, and nobody wanted to leave.  It's very good for them to do this because they don't see each other during the week like we do at home, and they need a social life together.  Finally, we went to the other home where the Young Ones were meeting.  They too were laughing and enjoying each other, but you know, young people have a different kind of humor.  We played a couple of games, and Elder Louw, acting silly, gave away all his old mission ties.




Elder Martin and Louws

Our first sighting on kangaroos (center left)


  Marlaine Coutts, Sister Laurel Orth, Megan Bailey
Elder Les Orth and Elder Louws
                                        







2 comments:

Angie said...

I'd like to hear that hammed up version of how you two met! I bet the people there are going to love you! I need you to write and let me know what to do about sending $$. You never got us the envelopes for the ward. Do you still want us to send it to them?

Erin said...

I don't know how I missed this post! I saw Brenda's comment about the Kangaroo and I had to come back and look through. I will send Angie some envelopes. I didn't know she was looking for them. Love you!