Our flat is one of four surrounding a small brick courtyard. We have a small flower bed on either side of the front steps and a little enclosed back yard with another bed. Sister Orth has planted some flowers in both, but there aren't any tools, except for a small trowel. I would like to plant some vegetables, since the growing season is so long here, but I don't have the room, and the owners won't allow digging up the grass. We are told that a tomato plant can last 3 or 4 years! The grass here is mostly ground cover and rarely has to be mowed.
I made an attempt at chocolate chip cookies today and made up three plates for our neighbors. They don't have shortening here, and everything is a little bit different, let alone weights and measures, and oven temps, and a gas oven! Well, they don't look so good, but it's the thought that counts....sort of.
We had an interesting discussion with an atheist today, or an agnostic...anyway, he doesn't believe in anything except that he is responsible for himself. He doesn't answer to anyone, in his view. It was hard to talk with someone who has no common ground on which to build! Anyway, we are going back, and he is coming to church Sunday if just to see off the Orths. Everybody loves the Orths. He lives about a mile from us, up on the hill with the Oyster Harbor in full view from his front window. Beautiful.
The Orths took us out for a couple of hours to do a little touring yesterday, our P-Day. We saw beaches and stopped for lunch of fish and chips and squid. It was very good, not rubbery at all! We went to the most famous point here for viewing whale, Whale Head Rock, but no one was there because we were told that killer whales have been in the area, and have prevented most of the whales from coming in this year. This is where they usually have their young and stay around with them for a few months. One lady said she saw a mother and her calf just last week, however, from that same viewpoint. She said that some days between July and October you can see 10 or 12 out there in King George Sound. There's a narrow inlet not far from there called Emu Point that leads to a little harbor called Oyster Harbor, which is skirted on the far side by Bayonet Head, which is where we live. Maybe you can see it on Google Earth, I don't know. But it is such a beautiful place.
We are very safe here. There seem to be no vagrants or homeless or wild-looking people. I like it very much.
I want to thank those of you who are making comments. It makes me feel that I'm not really that far away. I tried again to upload some photos, but after 15 minutes, I didn't even have one yet completely, so I cancelled. Maybe I'll just have to show you photos when we go home. Elder Ashby is at PEC meeting now, and will be back soon, so I'd better go see if there is something to fix for dinner.
Love you all, Sister Ashby
6 comments:
Thanks for the update. W sure hope you get the picture thing figured out. It sounds like you are trying to upload too big of pictures. There is a way to make their file size smaller. Julie had the same problem in Argentina. She would start the upload then go and do other things while they uploaded. Eventually they would upload.
So pleased you are liking your area and already loving the people. I think of you every morning I make it to the gym!! Sounds like most of your worries have faded away. When we were in Scotland we bought American food (Crisco, etc.) from Let's East American (website of the same name), but I don't think it would be worth having them ship to Australia. Maybe you could find a store on-line which sells American foodstuffs. We could send some things over if you wanted. Take care and God bless.
Jane
Mom, I'm glad you are giving us details about everything. It makes it easier to imagine! It sounds beautiful there! I'm sure you'll start adjusting to all the changes in no time at all! Love you!
Try what Julie does to download pictures. It will be worth it. Just walk away while it uploads. We really want to see those pictures. I tried getting on Google earth but something went wrong. Love you!
Mom- I can't believe there are whales there!! You'll have to get your camera ready for when they come out... Sounds like you are in a great spot, and you already saw some kangaroo! That's a little crazy. We have your picture on our fridge sent from the mission president. Love you!
You are so good at describing I feel like I am almost with you. And your description makes me want to be with you. You are such a great example of teaching His truth and doing His work. Love you; Susie
Post a Comment