This is Saturday night, 10:00, which is 8:00 a.m. for you at home. I would normally not be writing now, but I had a long nap today because of my back hurting so much, and I can’t go back to sleep quite yet. My companion is going without me, so this way, he’ll get his snoring going, and maybe be done with the main ignition by the time I go upstairs!
We ran out of time, or space, whichever a gig is a measurement of, (I sure don’t understand this computer lingo!) on the little pre-paid stick that gives us the internet. They said it was enough to last up to 3 months, but it only lasted 2 weeks for us! Of course, a lot of that would have been spent just staring at the screen, trying to figure out what we were supposed to do next, but the point is, we are going to have to discover our own gold mine, just to maintain internet service down here! So this is going to be saved on the desktop until the time that we can get hooked up again, and then hopefully I can figure out how to get it moved onto my blog.
The moon was full this week, so one night we took the opportunity to find a place where we could see the reflection of it on Oyster Bay. We drove up the hill from our home and found a place where we could see it, got out of the car for a few minutes, when a lady came walking by in the dark on her way to a post box, and heard us. She came over from her side of the street and began talking with us for a few minutes. (That tells you how safe people feel here.) Other than her, we saw no one till we got back home. It’s so quiet. I can’t get over it. I noticed her Aussie-German accent, and spoke a little German with her. She said she had lived here for 30 years, and loves it. They have a gorgeous home overlooking the bay, and a nice boat. I gave her a pass-along card about the Church, and felt like a real missionary. I also took one to the shoemaker today who stretched my shoes for me; and we’re working on making friends with a couple of girls at the bank. So many normal situations at home could have been missionary opportunities!
The Orths left this morning. The branch gave them a farewell party last night. It was nice, and they got sent off with lots of love and tears, and even gifts. So this morning we were really on our own for the first time. We had some errands to do, which we managed okay, and then headed to the countryside where we had an appointment at 11:00 to hometeach an older member and his nonmember wife. Elder Ashby had been there once before to help feed the cows with Elder Orth, and thought he would recognize it once we made it to the area. But they were dirt roads, often unmarked, and we didn’t have an address, only a post box number! Well, it ended up this way: We parked at the side of the road, called on our mobile phone, and the lady had to come looking for us. She led us to a quaint little farm, up a garden path to the back door, where we sat at the kitchen table with them and had a very nice visit while they fed us grape juice. We could see the trees, grass and wildflowers from the window. There was even an old coal stove there in the kitchen. We felt very at home with them. She asked why we had come on a mission, and about our family at home, etc. We told them about our children and grandchildren praying for us and offering to help us, and how we love the Gospel so much, and how it had helped us raise good kids, etc. (Thank you for being such good kids.) They sighed sweetly; then I told them how I had made two little white blessing suits for the possible babies to be born while we are gone. Nobody here, even in the church, has 22 grandchildren! They are always amazed. We gave a short lesson and had prayer with them. Brother Duffield said we must not give up on his wife, that maybe we would be able to get her to change her mind (after 40 years) about joining the church! He’s expecting a lot from us! We need your prayers again. What a sweet, humble, and faithful man. He said he would like to be sealed in the Temple to her. We have to go back on Thursday to feed the cows while they are gone up to Broom for a week.
We helped the young Elders give a FHE this week. We have a new missionary now, Elder Ellingson, fresh from Canada. He’s a good one, but still tired all the time from jet lag. We had a really good District meeting with them before the Orths left. The Orths role-played with us, taking the parts of some of the people we will be working with to help us understand their problems and points of view. That was very helpful.
The climate here seems bad for my arthritis. But still I think I prefer it over Perth, where it is going to be so very hot this summer. We are still cold in the mornings here, so that we run our little gas heater. But by the time we exercise, eat and study for a while, it’s usually warm enough that I don’t need even a sweater when we go out.
We met a member this week who is an aboriginal lady. She was very small, and 78 years old. She lives alone, and keeps her simple little home very clean. She let us in, and was cordial, but she won’t come back to church. We told her that the Lord had not forgotten her, and reminded her that she is a child of God. Then we prayed with her.
I had to laugh that day because we were looking for less active members to meet, and no one was home. So we decided to look for the oldest members in the branch because they wouldn’t be out working. It was one of the days my arthritis was hurting me a lot, and as I hobbled along, I suddenly realized that many of these people were born the same years we were! I felt old at that moment! Yikes, that was scary.
I have to admit, we have been a little bit discouraged this week. Maybe it’s partly all the whoopla over the Orths. They have done so much to get the Albany branch on it’s feet again, and are loved so very much, naturally. We are a bit intimidated, as my companion put it, about following them. So much is expected of us, and people can’t help but compare us to them. They are Aussies, and can relate so much better to the members, and understand their humor, etc., and even their language better. We, on the other hand, can’t even find our way around! We often say the wrong things, do everything slower, can’t figure out our computers, even the telephones! We’re the weak things of the world, and the foolish. (We’re trying to remember that the Lord can accomplish much through the weak and foolish to confound the wise.) Ray was built up a lot tonight at a viewing of General Priesthood Meeting, so he came home and tried to cheer me up because I was feeling sore, rather isolated and a bit homesick. I’m so thankful for him. He’s always thoughtful of my feelings.
4 comments:
I feel so thankful for computers right now. It is soooo good to read about your mission. If we had to write letters it would seldom get done. This is so fast and wonderful. Don't worry about filling the Orth's shoes. As soon as the people get to know you they will never want you to leave. You remain in my prayers. Love you both. Brenda
You do have an edge, though. People are interested in Americans and you've come further and are sacrificing your customs to learn theirs! They'll appreciate you for that! Love you!
I love hearing the stories that you tell. You are a great writer! I'm sure that when it's your turn to leave, the people and you will feel the same about each other as the Orths! Don't be discouraged. We love you!
Just trust The Lord. I know it may be hard to do but don't forget these are His children and He is taking care of them by having you there. He will guide you....He won't leave you or them...Love you!
Post a Comment