We tried to make some contacts today with some nonmembers we have met, but one lady didn’t answer the door; the man in the electronics shop was polite, but just said he wasn’t ready to listen; and the lady in the health foods shop wasn’t there. We have struck up a friendship with the other two who work there, however, so we’ve decided to nurture the friendship for a while, and not push the Church yet. They’re such lovely ladies, and so willing to offer help with anything, I’m hesitant to talk to them yet because I don’t want them to back away from us.
What a sight we saw yesterday! At the golf course down in Little Grove, there were lots of “roos,” just lying around on the green, some of them tending their little ones. They are used to people, so they weren’t afraid of us; it was rather the other way around! I got lots of footage, but until we get better internet connections, I can’t upload it for you. We often get our connection cut off if we are using it at a busy time of day, even at the church, as you know. Sorry.
We got some lovely pictures of gum trees too out by the sailing club at Princess Royal Harbor. (I’ve noticed that I’ve been using that word, lovely, a lot more. Everyone says it. Also, “no worries” for “you’re welcome.”)
We drove out to the other side of Oyster Harbor Monday evening for our first real dinner appointment. The Cowcills. After a wonderful dinner of roast lamb and vegetables, we showed them Ray’s movie. The two littlest ones couldn’t be quiet, so I took them in the far end of the house and entertained them so that the others could watch. They were hanging on me and sitting on me, and taking off my earrings, etc. just like my grandchildren. The little girl reminded me so much of Raegan with her long, curly blonde hair and brown eyes. I thoroughly enjoyed them. She said she loves me. I couldn’t help but love her. Her name is Mikayla, and she’s six. She thought I was from Perth, so I explained about America, and about how that’s why I have a funny accent. She was fascinated. So I told her about my German and demonstrated. Her eyes were huge. It was the only time she stopped talking all evening. I had made a hit with my cookies, so when we had prayer with them before leaving, we had some new little friends. That was like balm for my soul.
Southwestern Australia has been pounded for the last week with rain. Perth has had its wettest October since 1990. I hanged out the clothes, but brought them in just as wet. Even in the house, they don’t dry on the racks. It’s been a whole day. We still can’t get warm. I found one pair of extra, extra tall black tights, but everything else in the stores is set out for summer. I just keep washing my one pair of tights and wearing them again. I’m wishing I had brought more of my winter clothes for June, July and August. I was so concerned about finding summer things. Oh, well. Perhaps I can buy a couple of things when the time comes. They’re just so expensive here. We bought a sweater yesterday for Ray to wear under his suit.
In spite of the rain, Albany is teeming with color! Everyone here has flower beds. Many roses are in full bloom, along with the native flowers and trees. The homes are almost always well groomed and cared for. There are lemon trees in many yards, or other citrus, even avocados!
I woke up this morning about 2:30, smack in the middle of a dream. Sitting straight up in bed, I turned to Ray, but couldn’t place him in my dream. I couldn’t remember who he was, and not wanting to ask him straight out, I said “Who do I have here?” Ray woke up and looked at me, bewildered, and repeated, “Who do you have here?” When I heard his voice, I realized who he was and how ridiculous my question had been, which struck me as funny. I went to the little tiled toilet room I told you about which has an open window. The acoustics in there are awesome, and as I thought about it, I started to laugh, and I just couldn’t stop, no matter how I tried. Ray said he was worried that the neighbors heard me, but I couldn’t help it.
4 comments:
I am laughing so hard! That is hilarious. I am cryiny and Megan can't figure out what is going on. We loved the Cherry Ripe! I am taking them to Pres. Killpack today. Maybe I could send you some tights. I will check into it. Love you!
It's so fun to read about your experiences! John is quite jealous you know.....he loves missionary work! However, he is excited for his new calling in the church farm and ranch department. That is, if he can ever get his right arm working again! Oh well, that will come too! Last Tuesday I had lunch with Kelly and Brent and it was fun catching up with them. They love what they are doing too and we actually had a missionary couple I needed heir help with from our department! The church is amazing what it does! The Lord's work is vast and huge! Remember we love you and think of you every day! Have fun and enjoy this special time!
How funny!!! I laughed right out loud reading about your dream. I could just see Ray's perplexed look. JK
I am feeding Lucy and tried not to startle her when I read your funny story! That's awesome!
Post a Comment