Today we had our Elders, Ellingson and Naruo, for breakfast. We even had bacon and eggs with our Blender Wholewheat Pancakes. And for the first time, I ate a normal meal without shocks or pain! We fed them last night too. They dropped in around 8:30, having not eaten since lunch.
Albany’s temperatures vary from hour to hour. We have had temps up to 38 degrees C., which is about 100 F., I think, and 21 degrees C. yesterday, which is 78 F. if I’m right. Most of the time it is much more pleasant here than in Perth, or even Bridgetown. It's often breezy in the afternoon; and the cool nights here are envied by Perth residents.
We visited some of our Home Teaching families this week in up in Mt. Barker. We were delighted to find the Ellefsons (from Bridgetown) at the Baileys, who were visiting for the weekend. (They are Brook Baiiey’s parents.) We just hugged both of them! It felt so good to see them, as if they were our own parents, though they are probably younger than we! Maybe I told you already that Maureen had a brain tumor removed recently. A warm and comfortable evening was had by all, including much laughter, the discussion of the lesson, hearing and bearing testimony, and even singing by Brook and her father! Maureen told us about the angels of Heaven “kicking her out of Heaven. We laughed, thinking she was joking, but she was serious. She remembers…! I love Jan and Maureen. It will be terribly hard to leave them here in Australia. Pres. E. followed us out to the car. He knelt on the grass next to me as I sat in the passenger side and said, “Sister Ashby, if you would like, I would be willing to fast and pray with your husband, and then with him, give you a Priesthood blessing so that you can be healed of this problem.” I was so touched.
The 27th was Australia Day (Happy Birthday Brenda!). It’s rather like the 4th of July at home. There was a branch breakfast down at the park. No one seemed to be in charge, but everyone seemed to know what to do. We were surprised when we saw them all make sandwiches out of their bacon and eggs, or sausages and beans. Everything is so casual, no plates. napkins or utinsels needed! Actually, to be fair, the plates and utinsels came out eventually, for seconds!
There was no parade, but there was entertainment down at the main city park later in the day, featuring a fair-like atmosphere with booths, food, etc. We met the Elders later to enjoy the fireworks there. A beautiful display, up close and personal!
We have a few appointments with our investigators set up for this week, so I hope I can feel better and better as the week goes along. I’m anxious to get back into teaching.
Yesterday I spoke in church here in Albany. It went well, and all the members were very attentive after my illness. One sister gave me a bouquet of roses, one a little basket of fruit, besides the two sisters who have brought us soup, and the Duffields, who came or called almost every day, and brought me beautiful Lilliums. They’re wonderful to us.
I feel a lot better, but I still live in a “bubble” starting about 2 hours after taking my meds. I hope we can adjust it so that I am not dizzy and floating all the time. There are other bad side effects too, some of which I have experienced. We finally were successful in getting an appointment with a regular doctor, a general practitioner here in Albany. I guess the neurologist would prefer to work through him, which is much to our preference too. Perth is too far away and too hot anyway. We’ll see what this socialized medicine is like. So far, we have been extremely blessed to get in to see anybody.
These last 2 weeks have been a hard time for me. I have no way of knowing yet, but I’ll bet I’ve lost 15 pounds or so, too fast! I only feel grateful that I get to stay here and finish my mission, and that the Lord has been so merciful to me in answering all the prayers that have been sent up on my behalf. I know that I am not cured, and that more attacks will likely happen, but for now, I’m OK. I pray for faith and courage as I face whatever the Lord allows for me to experience in the future. Thank you for your kindness too, in thinking of me and praying for me. I love our friends at home.
3 comments:
Ooooh, fireworks and everything on the 27th?!! I've got to move to Australia!
It sounds like you are doing much better and it also sounds like you have made some wonderful friends who love you! I'm sure you are doing great things there... love you!
Me- Brenda Ashby Whipple aka keeko or brennie boo boo.
Yes, some entries! I checked a few times and saw nothing since January 23rd. What are lilliums?
Post a Comment