It feels like I haven’t written for
weeks! So much to tell! I will have to pick a few things, I know.
We just returned from teaching a
lesson to Jason and Alisha. I know,
we’ve been teaching them forever, you say?
But we have to wait so long between!
Today we read with them from the Book of Mormon. Elder A. took Alma 17, and I had 18. For my part, I gave each of us roles to
read. It kept them awake, and made the
story of Ammon and King Lamoni more interesting. We stopped there, and Alisha asked, “What
happened?” We wouldn’t tell her. Maybe she’ll read!
We talked with them about their
concerns, and actually made some progress today. We talked about forcing their kids vs.
teaching them. We talked about
overwhelming demands on their time. I
told them about my own experience, and how, looking back, I know that angels
helped me, because I couldn’t have done it without help from the Lord. But I had to ask! We talked about faith and stepping out into
the light. We talked about trusting the
Lord to help them, and believing his invitation to put our burdens at His feet. Then we had a kneeling prayer, and Jason
actually said it! Wow!
Yesterday we gave a lesson to Joanne,
who is smoke-free now, and took a member with us. We taught the apostasy and restoration; she
accepted it, and said she was interested.
We made a return appt. Wow, that
feels great! Next week we’ll teach Book
of Mormon.
Tonight we have an appt. with the
Bansoy family to teach the rest of the Plan of Salvation. The father and eldest son were reading from
the Book of Mormon last time we went.
Then the father came to 2 hours of church with us (the third Sunday in a
row!), and said he cannot force his children, nor his wife, who were
asleep. Of course, I agreed, but I told
him that we are hoping that they will do the steps to get their own testimony
so that they will want to come. And he said, “I do too!”
So!
We are moving, although slowly, ahead!
My testimony of the power of the Book of Mormon has redoubled again in
this work. Maybe because I have been
studying it so much more than usual, but I have been amazed at how it answers
the questions that I have personally, and those about teaching other
people! My testimony of the addresses we
hear in conference has also grown. Just
after we had this amazing experience with Jason and Alisha today, and talking
about their kids with them, we came home, picked up the mail, and there on the
front cover of the conference issue was the cutest photo of a happy
family! It just seemed to me that the
Lord was saying loud and clear, “Here, see what the Gospel does!”
If you’re wondering what happened to
the man last week to whom we taught the non-smoking lesson, …it did not go
well. Or rather, he did not do
well. After we left, we heard that there
was a big blow-up! His father-in-law
said that it was not our fault, but that this is what he always does. He blames everyone else but himself for his
problems. Anyway, from what we were
told, this brought a lot of things to a head, and it could be a good thing
because at least it gets things out in the open. Apparently, there is also a drinking problem,
so when I made him commit to no alcohol, tea or coffee, as well as tobacco, it
was the thing that made him feel he just could not do it. (I thought he became pretty fidgety toward
the end!) So we’re really concerned for
them.
1 comment:
I love to hear about the teaching experiences you are having. Good and not so good. It sounds like you are getting right down to the heart of things. We all need to be stirred up a little. That's the only way we can change. If no one or nothing ever challenges us, how will anything change or grow?
Post a Comment