Wednesday, June 13, 2012

13 June 2012


I am seated in the “carpark” in the rain, writing this before Institute begins.  I want to tell my feelings about last night before I forget.  I don’t know why, but I can’t seem to get on the internet, so I will save this till I can. 

As you know, we came back yesterday from BT early so that we could miss the cyclone and so that we could teach a lesson to the Bansoy Family.  The weather was fine, though there were evidences everywhere of the storm on Sunday.  This one raged through here at about midnight, and in waves since then and most of today.  It was a category 2 cyclone, which would be termed “hurricane” in the northern hemisphere.  I can’t imagine Katrina being twice this strong!  The houses here are made mostly of concrete or brick, with no insulation, of course, and are very drafty.  The windows rattled with their thin panes of glass, till I thought they would break!

Anyway, we went to the Bansoys a little after 7:00, and as usual, they had the whole family gathered, even the little 7-year-old, and the teenaged boy who has autism and who can’t speak English.  We gave the plan of salvation lesson, actually for the second time because they weren’t understanding it the first time.  I made a chart, and we went slower for them.  I think they really got it this time, and afterwards, each of them nodded when we asked them individually if they believed the things we have taught them so far.  I was so moved to see this humble family, all leaning forward a little in their seats listening intently.  The eldest boy asked some outstanding questions, and promised to come to church this week.  The mother is the only one who hasn’t read yet, and she said she had been working to get all her work done so that she could spend her day off (today) reading.  The father and both of the young adult children have given a kneeling prayer. 

I am so excited about this family!  They are so sweet, and I feel extremely privileged to see this process as each new doctrine is embraced by them.  I have been amazed at how much love I feel for them, not really knowing them very well.  I feel that I want to see Jellie (the 19-year-old girl) go to BYU, and Joko to go on a mission.  There is so little for them here, I worry at how they will stay strong in this branch with all its problems and with virtually no young adults.  I pray that the Lord will prepare their way before them.  I feel that they’re special.  

1 comment:

Angie said...

Wow. Keep us posted on them!