Monday, June 25, 2012

25 June 2012


27 June 2012

Last night we went to Bonsoys prepared to teach Lesson Number 3, but instead we showed them on our computer the conference center, the members gathered, our prophet leader, an apostle, the Tabernacle Choir, pictures of the temple.  It seemed to help for them to see that the church is not comprised of just what they see here on Sundays. 

We asked them not to think of joining the church by their relationship with others, but to think of it as something they do between themselves and Jesus Christ.  My companion turned to each of the four adults and asked if they are willing to follow the example of Jesus Christ and go down into the waters of baptism and be baptized by someone holding the authority, once they know that this is right.  First Willy said yes, then Laila.  Next he asked Jellie, the 18-year-old girl, who hesitated.  She said she knows that it is true, but she wants to be sure before she does it.  Joko agreed. 

They said YES!!!!  We were so excited, but we tried to act adult about it.  Inside we were screaming! 

It was Joko’s seventeenth birthday, so they invited us to go with them to dinner at a Chinese restaurant.  Jellie rode with us, and on the way she opened up a little, and said that they all love to have us come, and that they can feel the Holy Spirit when we teach.  At the restaurant, I asked Willy when he wanted to set up the baptism for Laila and him, and he said two weeks from now, probably on the 14th!  We have to figure out how we are going to get the rest of the lessons in before then, but they are so willing, I think we can do it.

I asked Laila if she is homesick, and she said yes, but I think she just misses her family there.  Willy said that he built a cement house there, but then they had to give it up when they came here.  At least they have the comfort of knowing that her family is in it now.  Things there are pretty grim, from their description.  They are very thankful to be here, but it is hard because it is so expensive.  We haven’t told them yet about the Law of the Tithe or the Law of the Fast.  I hope they have the faith to accept it.  I hope we have the faith to teach it!

We stopped by the Sisters’ flat last night to tell them, and they were so cute, and excited for us.  Sister Salanoa is going home  to Sydney on July 24.  I don’t know how I’m ever going to stand it, except that she promised to come see us when she comes for general conference in April, two weeks after we arrive home!  Sister Myers will be going home right then too, so maybe our family could be there to meet them!



25 June 2012

I taught a lesson in Bridgetown on Saturday, and then I went with one of our investigators, Jan Lake, to a theatrical production put on by the community.  It was very good for such a small town, and so well attended!  This was the third and last weekend, I think, and there were at least 100 people to fill the seats of the 80-year-old theater.  This is part of a festival called “Winter in the Blackwood,” or something like that.  Because of the winter weather, I felt comfortable singing along with the Christmas carols. I think it’s so funny that they sing about the snow at Christmas in so many of their songs.   Actually, in the stores, you, know, when they play music as you shop, I keep expecting them to play Christmas music!

 We’ve been travelling a lot this month, just doing our regular missionary calling. It was a quick trip to BT this time—just overnight with the Mullens.  Elder Ashby had to conduct the Sunday services because the first counselor’s family was gone and our branch president was in the hospital for a procedure on his arteries.  There were very few of us at church!  I hope we’re here for a few days now.  Actually, we do have to travel tonight to Mt. Barker for home teaching, but that’s only about 40 minutes away.  (Brother L. has postponed  our lesson to him till next time we’re in BT….) 

 Today we went to a funeral for Brother Haddrell, one of our eldest members.  The family has never forgiven him for joining the church way back in the early days.  His five sisters stayed stubbornly out of the church.  I wonder if that is the reason he never married.  His brother-in-law introduced him to the missionaries, but he saw what an unhappy marriage he had.  His brother-in-law is our dear Brother B., whose wife has kept her resentful attitude all these years.

 Brother Haddrell has contributed many hours and many dollars to the church.  Yet he lived a simple life, made his living on the land where he lived and died.  He didn’t even have indoor plumbing until recent years, when some of the brethren put it in for him.  I think his family resented  the money he gave for the chapel back in the sixties, and his tithing all these years.  Yet, he was faithful.  He sat on the front row of the meetinghouse every Sunday morning all by himself, and quietly drove himself home after Sacrament Meeting.  He gave the closing prayer on the Sunday before he died!

The family insisted on having his funeral at the cemetery.  It’s actually the crematorium with a nice chapel in front.  We walked over this morning, as it is near to our home at Bayonet Head.  More than half of the room was full of “Mormons,” but they were not to preach, and if they took part on the program, it was not to be more than 15 minutes!  One of the stake presidency spoke, but he said nothing about the Gospel  Brother Haddrell loved so much, and he didn’t even close in the Savior’s name!  We sang two songs, though, as a congregation, and you should have heard the sermon we taught in that music!  It sounded more beautiful than it ever did in our chapel.  I know there were angels singing with us! 

5 comments:

Angie said...

Sad for his family to miss out on such a huge part of his life.

Rodney said...

What an inspiration to stay faithful all those years.

Dawn Smith said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dawn Smith said...

That was awesome the effect the hymns had at the funeral!

Elizabeth said...

Makes you think of the scripture that says the lord has come to send a sword...