Last Thursday it was cold and
rainy in the evening, and I was supposed to go to Relief Society, but found it
hard to go out in the dark and drive myself over in the rain. I fought with myself, and then I thought, “This
is how many older sisters feel. I’ve got
to set a good example for them. Besides,
I had had a chance to talk with Claire, who said she was coming to Relief
Society, so I wanted to be there and try to get a chance to talk with her
privately and ask her why she had gone to another church, after telling us that
she felt so good about the LDS. So I
went.
And the Lord provided the
perfect opportunity! I was sitting with
her alone for a moment, and thought, “This is my chance!” So you know me, I just came right out and
asked her! I took a moment to remind her
of the feelings she had expressed, and how she said, “Oooo, I’m getting goose
bumps!” when she talked about how the Lord must have led her here to this
church. I told her that it was the Holy
Ghost telling her that it was true, and I said, “Why then, would you go to another
church?”
“Well,” she said, “I did some
research to find out about the church, and I came across the bit about not
drinking, or having coffee, and having to pay tithing. I don’t think I want to give up those.”
“But Claire, you haven’t
heard the whole story yet! You haven’t
heard the why yet. When you learn that, you will understand how
we can do that. But don’t make up your
mind yet about an important question like this until you’ve heard the missionaries
explain, OK?”
On Friday the cute sisters
came over. We had District Meeting; then
Brother James came, and we had Missionary Correlation Meeting. During the district meeting, the sisters were
teaching us from Preach My Gospel
about how to prepare the investigators to be taught. It means that you sort of set the stage
before you teach a lesson by saying things like, “We will be teaching you how
to make changes in your life so that you will want to follow Jesus and be
baptized…” (There are about 10 points)
These make it easier later to challenge them to baptism, or to other things, because the air has been
cleared, and they know up front what to expect from us, and what we will expect
from them.
Then, the best part is, we
are trying to learn how to follow the Spirit’s promptings by asking inspired
questions, listening with discernment, teaching principles that will address
their concerns, and inviting them to act on these principles.
Sister Salanoa had prepared
the lesson she wanted to teach us. But
our concerns, or questions, caused her to divert her lesson a little bit to
meet our needs, thus demonstrating her topic.
We are trying to learn to follow the Spirit’s promptings and “teach
people, not lessons.”
So the sisters stayed a while
on Friday after the meeting. It was just
a little bit awkward because I didn’t know they were going to stay, or what
their plans were. So I let them help me
a little bit to hang out my sheets and make up our bed for the Bakers, who were
coming on Saturday for a two-night stay with us. (We had invited them down to speak in a Young
Adult Fireside. You met the Bakers,
remember? on Google+)
I decided that the sisters
must have just decided to do their study time here, because at one time I had
told them that this is not our home, but a missionary flat, and that they were
as welcome as we are to make use of it.
So they stayed for lunch and then went out to do their visits from
here. I love these sisters (I’m trying not to call them “girls”), and love to have
them around, much like my own daughters.
It’s so fun to be senior missionaries!
It feels like we’re in the midst of the greatest movement in the world,
even if it is moving a bit slowly.
So, the Bakers came (I love
those two!) on Saturday and went with us to an activity for the youth, which
turned out all right, and then they spoke in the fireside on Sunday night. We loved having them here, but there wasn’t
much time to enjoy them. We had to let
them spend the afternoon at the Tobiassen’s, where they had lunch while we went
to two teaching appointments, who both fizzled out on us. “Ah well, nevermind…”
The Bansoys came to
church! We even had a young man who
could greet them at the door in Tagalog when they arrived! We have an appointment to teach them again
tonight, although we still have not received the Books of Mormon in Tagalog
that we ordered some time ago! We will
go ahead, hoping that they understand English well enough. The Sacrament Meeting was nice, but some of
the speakers were hard to understand, being young Aaronic Priesthood holders,
and it is hard to hear anyway, sitting in the back, but nevermind, (an
Australian expression for “oh, well…) it will all come out in the end. We hope!
We had a wonderful experience
in my Sunday School class, where I practiced what the Sisters had taught. Claire came to church too, so she was in
there, plus one of the members over whom we have worried and worked. (The Bansoys went home after Sacrament
Meeting.) So we started out, and the
Spirit directed us as I asked questions, and Claire seemed to understand. She asked some more really good questions, so
I thought, “Teach people, not lessons,” and pushed aside the lesson and
addressed the questions being asked.
When Claire asked “Why are there so many churches anyway? Why don’t they all just teach the
Truth?” I asked Sister Salanoah to
explain the apostasy, and Sister Myers to explain the Joseph Smith story. Then we tied it all in with the Sacrament
Meeting theme, which had been on the restoration of the Priesthood. As each person spoke, you could feel the
Spirit giving him/her the words. The
Sisters explained it so beautifully that Claire said with great wonderment,
“Oh. . . now I see!”
After some discussion, we came to the
conclusion that it was really a matter of what we want out of life. Do we want
to follow the Savior or not? Do we want
to accept what He offers or reject it?
Claire was really getting
into it, but the member sister wasn’t.
She was not looking up at me, and I had the impression that she was
worried that she would spill her guts and lose control if I asked her anything. So I finally said kind of gently, “I think
Sister….is struggling with the same question right now in her life, right?”
And then it actually
happened. What she feared. She kind of broke loose the dam that was
threatening, and let all her feelings come rushing out. She was sort of yelling, sort of crying. She said that she just felt so overwhelmed
with all that there was to do on a Sunday morning. She didn’t use that word, but I think that is
what she meant. She is tired after
working all week, and by the time Sunday comes, she doesn’t want to worry about
getting up and pushing all her kids to get to church by 9:00. She said that by the time they all get to
church, screaming and fighting, she wonders, “Why am I doing this?”
It’s a familiar story? Yes, you recognize it. I told her about my experience, and shutting
myself in the bathroom and saying, “You do it!
I’m tired of being the one! I’m
just plain tired!”
Then Elder A. bore his
testimony, and we all cried together!
Then the non-member put her arms around the member, and they went to
Relief Society together. It was like a
miracle! A totally beautiful feeling!
I feel like a child, learning
the Gospel all over again! The
principles are so beautiful, and so personal.
Sunday night we were
surprised when a young man whom we had met in the grocery store came to the
fireside. That made 4 people who came to
church, if you count Claire. (She’s
really the Sisters’ investigator, but we have seen her more than they have, so
I counted her.) Our goal for the week
was 2! The Lord really answers prayers,
especially when you set specific goals!!
I hope some of my grandchildren
read this. I know it’s hard to read when
it’s so long. I’m sorry.
5 comments:
I know that the Lord answers specific prayers, and that when you pray about specific things, you are more able to recognize the Lord's hand in your life!
That's so neat to hear how you're using Preach My Gospel and how you have the sister missionaries and they have you!
Love you!
Dawn
I will share this with my kids. I asked them before they went to bed tonight whether God answers their prayers. This is a great testimony for them about how he has answered yours.
What an inspiring post! I know it takes valuable time to maintain such an interesting and detailed blog, but for those of us who are unable to "talk" with you through the Internet, we so appreciate it!
Thanks mom this is the post that disappeared for a while.
Is Claire the one who lives by the church? My kids will read this!
Post a Comment