Monday, December 19, 2011

10 December 2011 (Elder Ashby)

A few weeks ago we traveled to Bridgetown to stay for 5 days as we become acquainted with the people and the branch members. While there, we went out into a little out of the way place where one of our members lives. He has been estranged from the church for some time now because of personal reasons. He used to be the stake president when he lived in the Perth area years ago. We learned to like him and listened to his story as he related a number of stories about the good experiences that have taken place in his life. Here, as near as I can recollect, is one of those experiences: Back in the 60’s when he was the newly called president, he went to the airport to welcome Elder Thomas S. Monson who was assigned to come to Stake Conference in Perth. Elder Loren C. Dunn, Elder Marvin J. Ashton and one other general authority were with him in the visit. Late one night when Bro. Williams was driving them back to their motel, they drove through one of those parts of Perth that is noted for its high crime rate and lower level of living conditions. He said that no one should be out on the streets in that part of the city. It was then that he noticed that the fuel gage in his car was showing empty and the car came to a stop. President Williams was devastated by having these wonderful men with him in a place like that. Elder Monson looked at him and said, “President Williams, you forget who you are with.” They sat there discussing what they should do and five minutes later a vehicle pulled up behind them and stopped. He got out and as he came to the window of their car he asked them if he could help. Pres. Williams told him that they were out of gas and the man said, “Well, I have an extra can of gas with me.” As they drove away Elder Monson declared, “see, what did I tell you?”


After letting the brethren out, Pres. Williams had to travel clear across Perth to get back to his home and he noticed that the tank was empty again. He didn’t have enough gas to make it to his home. As he pulled into his driveway, he experienced another confirmation of the Savior’s love.



18 Dec. 2011


It’s not too often that I get a chance to write on the blog. Teresa does such a good job of it and I don’t get much of a chance to sit down and write. It seems like when I do have some extra time, I feel like I need to work on learning my lessons.


Lately Teresa has been practicing in the car and sometimes at home on her Aussie accent. She gets a kick out of mimicking different words that she hears people say, like the words: “No”, “yea” and “no worries”. Everyone in Albany likes to say the word “yea”, to everything that someone else is talking about. When we get back to the states I may have to be her language interpreter. I never lose my slow talkin Utah lingo.


Now that I have been called to sit up front in Sacrament meetings as the 2nd counselor, I have a little pull with the program, so I asked if Teresa could sing her song “Only a Baby Came” in our meeting today and I noticed a number of people were wiping their eyes when she finished. Everywhere we go I tell people that she would be glad to sing for them. I am very unselfish. The spirit of that great song and the gospel message are breaking down many barriers between us and these good Australian people. We are loving the wonderful experience of talking with members and non members about this great gospel.


This work is not easy. I find that I have to be continually working to keep my thoughts on the fact that I have been called as a full time servant of the Lord. Praying more often than I usually do and listening to what the spirit is saying are two things that are so very essential but are not necessarily a part of my nature. Both of us are working hard to be what the Savior’s servants should be. When we hear that our family and other good people are praying for us, it makes such a wonderful difference. Our desire to serve the Savior has definitely increased.

3 comments:

Angie said...

Tell grandma that we miss her singing here in the states and we pray for you every night. It's going to be weird to go to Utah and not even see you guys. I love and miss you.

Bryan

Michael Maloy said...

Elder Ashby, you are right. Sister Ashby is a wonderful blogger, but it is nice to hear "your side of the story" too. Thank you for spending some of your precious time, sharing your thoughts and perspective. We love you, miss you, and pray for you always.

Angie said...

It's so nice to hear from you Dad!