Monday, July 23, 2012

24 July 2012

We were meticulous about preparations for the baptism.  We invited members and non-members individually, arranged for musical numbers, an accompanist, a chorister, prayers, talks, filling the font, taking photos, getting the proper white clothes to fit everybody, and even a beautiful program appropriate for the occasion.  We prepared the Pansoys by practicing with them and showing them the font.  But in the end one of the men forgot his pants, and Elder Ashby forgot his underwear!  This must have happened before, because there just happened to be a new pair in the closet which was just the right size.  And Joko wore white pants home!  It all worked out OK. 

The members came to support them, some of them bringing flowers, and nibbles for afterwards; and we had 4 investigators there!  It was beautiful.  Very reverent and serious until Sister Ashby, in the middle of the second verse of her song, and right before the climax, forgot the words!  Accchhh!  I looked down at the book, but realized that I had forgotten my glasses, and I couldn’t see!  PAUSE……Pause…………pause ………………………………………..(The congregation is getting nervous)…….My head still down, I said, “I can’t remember the words!”.........a few snickers, then a voice from the back clearly giving me the prompt….I looked up, laughing with the whole congregation, and finished the song!  I could feel the relief, as everyone smiled broadly as I sat down.

Sunday the Pansoys received beautiful blessings with their confirmations. They were calm and pleasant.  We sometimes reflect on how easily they overlook our many fumbles, mistakes, omissions, and weaknesses, accepting so humbly what is the real underlying message.  In my Sunday School class on Sunday, for example, I was describing how we are counseled to be childlike so we can be guided by the Spirit of the Lord.  I gave the example of Jordan Pansoy, having never been to Primary before, was willing to be guided by Elder Ashby (humility), who took his hand and led him to Primary.  Jordan trusted Elder Ashby (faith), who stayed with him for a while in Primary till he was enjoying it on his own.  (“Be thou humble, and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand and give thee answers to thy prayers.”) I looked into the faces of these sweet people and thought how the Lord must be letting me give these lessons so that I, the “teacher” can learn from them! 

I asked Laila if they had prayed before we met them.  She answered that yes, they were concerned about the arguing in the home, and that her husband sometimes cried about it.  Then we knocked at their door!  Elder Ashby said, “No wonder they eagerly asked us to come back!”

I learned also what is meant by the scripture in Romans 8 which says that the Holy Ghost intercedes for us with the Father when we want to pray but have not the words.  I feel so thankful to the Lord for His mercy, and for letting us bring the Gospel to this family, and for being allowed to see the Holy Spirit teach them.  I know it is He who teaches, not his clumsy, bumbling senior missionaries!  It is the words themselves that are burned into the hearts of the soft-hearted.  What a merciful God we have!

We went to their home again Monday night and introduced FHE.  They even took notes!  Jellie prayed at the end, asking help for their family as they start their own Family Home Evenings.  We testified that FHE will keep their family strong and united if they do it faithfully.  We said that they can be a strength to the Albany Branch, a wonderful, strong family who keeps their covenants.  We will pray for them for the rest of our lives.

I mentioned that we met last week with a couple in Mt. Barker, the Betts.  We took morning tea with them on Saturday, and gave them the whole first lesson.  I was really groggy on the way out there, so we pulled over to the side of the road and E. Ashby gave me a blessing to be able to help give the lesson without problems.  As he gave the introduction, I felt my head clear and my vision focus so that I was able to give my parts of the lesson as if I had no drugs at all!  The lesson went well, and this sweet couple is all set to read the Book of Mormon!  They seemed to accept and agree with everything so far.  We’re hopeful.

We had our Sisters over for the last time on Sunday.  We walked with them just before dark down to the Blowholes, and watched as a mother humpback and her baby played out in the bay.  It turned out to be a nice ending for the Sisters, since they left us this morning, Sister Salanoa for home in Sydney, and Sister Myers to Austerland, north of Perth.  We traded cars yesterday, so that our old Corolla could be traded in for a newer car. 

4 comments:

Angie said...

So glad to hear that everything went well with the baptisms. It also sounds like you're warming up to your Sunday school calling and I'm sure they're warming up to you! Love you!

Michael Maloy said...

When I anxiously read about the baptism of the Pansoy family, the following hymn came immediately to mind:

The morning breaks,
the shadows flee;
Lo, Zion’s standard is unfurled!
The dawning of a brighter day,
Majestic rises on the world.

I am so glad you have been able to enjoy the “fruit of thy . . . labours.” Hurrah for Israel!

Erin said...

Yay, so glad to hear about the baptism. Love you!

Dawn Smith said...

Oh wow! That baptism story is amazing! It brought tears to my eyes! I want to raise my family to be like the Pansoys! And you are such a humble couple who have sacrificed so much to get to this point!

Also your story about the blessing inspires me to ask for blessings from my dear husband!