The 25th of April
in Aussieland is ANZAC Day. It begins at
dawn (4:27 a.m. to be exact) with a very solemn devotional ceremony in each
town. Here in Albany, it takes place at
the monument atop the highest hill, where one may view the harbour and picture
the boats all lined up there to depart on that day in 1914. It was, in fact, the last view of their
homeland for most of the 30,000 troops who left here that day, many of them
never to return. 8,700 of them were
killed in Gallipolli, Turkey and at least 11,000 in Villers-Bretionneux,
France. I keep hearing different numbers
for each, but I know that every town in Australia and many in New Zealand as
well, gave up their young men to the war.
The ones who went to the Middle East were killed in a terrible slaughter
when they landed on the wrong shore, and miscommunications between their own
leaders caused an unthinkable tragedy, leaving thousands dead in one
battle.
The thing that so astounds us
is the level of devotion paid by the towns of Australia now! Everyone goes to the well-planned ceremonies,
standing for hours throughout the day, singing
their anthems and bowing their heads in prayer.
Many of the men march in the parades, proudly displaying their own or
their ancestors’ medals. The children
too, participate in the parade, proudly marching in their school uniforms, each
school a different color. It seems
uncharacteristic of the Aussie people in a way, because by their own admission,
they are not religious people and are very “laid back,” as they put it,
meaning, I think, that they don’t often get excited or committed to things that
require any degree of discomfort.
After another ceremony in the
ANZAC park down at the main harbour, we came home and saw the dawn service at
the monument in France on TV.
The whole thing was
incredible. Even the children were
reverent about ANZAC! I went into the
library at the school where we do service on Thursday and struck up a
conversation with the librarian about it, and found that it was a wonderful
opener to talk about with people, because they just brighten up when you
compliment them about what they have achieved with this memorial.
I remember going to the
cemetery in Orangeville when I was a small child, and watching a patriotic
program from a stage they had set up there.
It was, it seemed, attended fairly well by the locals, but I think it
disappeared. Do they still hold such
things in America? I think we are all
guilty of not paying enough reverence to our kindred dead and our war dead. I know I am guilty of it. It’s partly because we all go so many
different ways on Memorial Day, and that we have made it a day of fun, instead
of remembering.
In our own family, we have
Kids’ Day on Memorial Day. Is there
something more fitting that we can add to our Kids’ Day? We have such good memories now of all the
years’ fun together, and I’m not suggesting that we stop it because it has
become such a wonderful weekend for all of us to be together. But I just think we should turn our minds
back more, and help our children to also.
How can we do that?
I think that our kids need to
know how grateful we are for our own country’s heroes. What if we had to send our own family’s boys
off to war? Perhaps we need to do more
on the Fourth of July that is in a spirit of gratitude and reverence. Then as part of our Kids’ Day we can make
sure we talk about our own ancestors as part of that day.
I know that we have done some
things on Memorial Day to reverence our grandparents, etc. Let’s do more of that! Sometimes we have gone to the graves of the
different ones when we could, but Brenda Dart always decorates our family’s
graves in Orangeville, and sometimes even our others in Ferron. Perhaps we could do more to pay for the
flowers she provides too.
2 comments:
Did you know that Aunt Lenore's sister passed away last week? Just wanted to let you know. Love, Erin
I think that is a great idea Mom! We'll try to do something about that this year!
Post a Comment