We’ve been having lots of
things happen lately that have made us question our value here in the
mission. Elder Ashby said we must be
doing something right, because Satan seems determined to stop us from
teaching. Even tonight we got a text
from one of our home teaching contacts saying that she doesn’t want us to
contact her any more. We have been
having one thing after another for the last while, but we have also been
consciously trying to listen or read things that help us be positive. Today we listened to an old CES fireside with
dear, dear Elder Faust as the speaker. I
just loved him. He talked about being
your best at the worst of times. We have
been trying to do better at our part by using our time effectively, and
planning better.
Well, talk about blows! Last night I had a sister tell me that the
members expressed some misgivings last time I taught Sunday School. She didn’t know if I would be allowed to
teach because they weren’t used to being taught like I do. She said they don’t
read regularly from their scriptures, and they couldn’t understand teaching
like that! She said that they are
different down here because some of the members don’t even have the LDS
scriptures yet, and they have to be taught things they understand. Funny how the members are coming in
increasing numbers to Institute class! I
could say more, but I won’t.
I have seen a podiatrist a
couple of times here in Albany. He sold
me some new orthotics and some new granny shoes, about which I cannot be
excited. But I am so anxious to have
some relief to my feet, I have to do something!
I am taping them, which helps quite a bit.
We met a lady the other day
who was stranded with her car. E. Ashby
tried to get it going, but we ended up taking her to the bank and then to her
home. She was a friendly and intelligent
person from South Africa. She said she
was a smoker and would like to give it up, so we offered to have her join a
class we’re getting ready to teach on stopping smoking. We have been asked by President Holder to teach
several members of our branch from a program we got from the young Elders. They claim to have really had success with
it.
Our nights here are turning
cool. We have slept with our windows
closed for the last few nights. That was
a short summer! At least with the cool
nights, we seem to be having a welcome reprieve from the ants! They were just about to carry us off to who
knows where! We have sprayed and
sprayed, and even set out bait!
We bought a new dining table
yesterday. It will have to be put
together when it comes. It’s not
terrific, but better than what we have, and it will make a difference in the
look of our front room. That was fun!
3 comments:
I hope the lady from South Africa comes to your smoking cessation class. Sounds like a great program!
What a bummer when that lady told you she didn't like the way you taught Sunday School, Mom! You are an AWESOME teacher! I love your classes! I am working on a service project to get scriptures sent to your branch. Sounds to me like those members are hungry for the real truth. Satan doesn't like what you're doing at all! Keep a stiff upper lip!
Love, Dawn
I loved the comment about the granny shoes. Nice!
I agree with Dawn. You are an amazing teacher. Sorry you are having such difficulties. It sounds like when you are on a mission the "ups" are higher and the "downs" are lower. We met a couple at the Republican caucus the other day that is coming to dessert at our house on Sunday. (Not LDS) We've been trying to get to know our neighbors...
Love you!
Post a Comment