Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Thursday, September 22, 2011

We're actually in Perth now!!!  It was the world's longest flight, more than 23 hours in the air, plus the time in LA and Sydney for layovers!  I couldn't sleep except to doze for a few minutes on the plane, and Ray not much more.  I had picked up a cold on the last day at the MTC, and by the end of the flight, I was really miserable, especially when we started that last descent.  I thought my eardrums were going to burst!  My nose was bright red, my eyes had big dark circles, not to mention that I was swollen!  We did get up quite a bit and stretch our legs, much to the annoyance of the people on the aisle, so my swelling could have been worse.  On the last day at the MTC, we both went in to the barber shop for trims, and the girl did the worst job on my hair that I've ever had.  There's not much left, despite my reminding her that I wasn't her usual sort of customer!  So much for the advice given at the MTC to make a good first impression!

The Australian airlines, Qantas, were very nice, as airplanes go, and the attendants were good to us.  At customs in Sydney, we escaped having our bags gone through by asking directions of a very nice man, which meant we got on a bus to transfer terminals and made the flight to Perth with about one minute to spare.  Thank goodness.  I made the mistake of carrying my nice hair-cutting scissors in my carry-on, and had three or four bottles of things in there too, which all had to be confiscated.  I forgot, with all the other things on my mind.  Every time I went through security, my titanium knees set off the alarms, and I had to be patted down.

The temperature was about 53 degrees F. when we arrived in Perth.  Our mission president and Sister Cahoon met us at the gate, and we went out into the rain and crammed all our luggage into their car, two of the pieces on our laps.  (I think they may have forgotten that missionaries from the USA are allowed 2 50-lb. bags, plus carry-ons.)  The other missionaries are limited to one big bag and carry-ons.  Anyway, we all finally fit in, upside-down, remember, and with the president driving on the wrong side of it all.  My head throbbing, we were taken to the mission home, where we had a nice long visit with Pres. Cahoon, and then to the mission office, where we met the office staff.  Wonderful couples who all seemed so thrilled to have us.  The men took my companion to drop off the luggage somewhere, and I went with Sister Cahoon to the store to buy medications for my cold and a few things for the mission home.  It was interesting to see the way fresh bread and meats are sold at a little kiosk in the mall.  All the groceries are at least half again as much as in the states.  Eggs, free range, are selling for $6.00 a dozen, and bananas have been as much as $4.00 each, although they're not that bad now.  We tasted the most wonderfu sweet oranges I've ever ever had.!

We had a wonderful dinner (Woops!  It's called 'tea' here)  with the Nielsens, with whom we'll be staying for about 4 days, the Cahoons, and the president's brother, David, and his wife who have been visiting for a time here.  By the way, the meat and potatoes here are delicious, contrary to what some have told us.  Then the Nielsens drove us to their apartment and we crashed.  I was too exhausted to even wash my face and brush my teeth!  But this morning, after a good sleep and a hot bath, I feel somewhat better.

I have discovered that my Kindle has been disabled during the flight some way.  I'm very sad about that.  I haven't tried my computer yet.  This is the Nielsen's computer.  So I still don't have access to my photos.  Sorry. 

Thank you all for your comments and emails.  And thank you, my darling grandchildren, for all the picture and letters you gave us.  We are so far away, but we have you in our hearts and think of you every day, and pray for you all.  I think we'll start using ray.ashby@myldsmail.net for our communications while we're here.  It's too confusing having 3 email accounts.  So please change that on your contacts list for the next 18 months, ok?  You can still send photos on my google address, though.  And if there is anything you need to say that is not for public view, use my gmail address because now that I've posted this lds mail address, it won't be private.   I love you all.  Hoorah for Zion!!!!

8 comments:

Ammon & Liz Ashby said...

We are glad you made it okay! Love you.

Brenda said...

Wow, sounds like you've already had an adventure. So sorry to hear about your hair!! I hate bad hair cuts especially when you're trying to make good first impressions... (:
Glad your flight went okay. We were all praying that you wouldn't be too swollen.
Hope you feel better soon...Love you!

Jane McBride said...

I know you'll be fine once you get into the swing of things! Anxious to hear about your full-time assignment. We're thinking about you and praying for you.
Jane

Angie said...

It's good to finally hear from you. Glad you're safe and hopefully getting well. I bet you'll be exhausted for the next week with the time differences. By the way, what is the time difference? Love you both!

Grandma Chubby said...

So glad you made it safe and sound! There will be some adjustments for you but you guys will be wonderful missionaries! Take care and remember we love you!
J & L

Brenda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brenda said...

Glad to hear you made it safe and sound. Get some good rest and then let the fun begin!! You will be teriffic missionaries!!
Love you, Brenda (Dart)

Erin said...

Love you mom and dad! So good to hear from you! Glad you are safe and sorry about your cold. Hope you are feeling better. We are praying for you and talk of you often. The kids are going to meet Tycen and Cate so that they realize that you are not there better. Hope your hair grows fast.