We’ve been having a good
week. We met with some members who were
not active and got them to come to Institute and to church!
We are a bit concerned about
the young adults in our branch, however.
Several aren’t married, and don’t seem interested in anyone. It’s so hard for them when they live in such
an isolated area. The youth are planning
to go to EFY soon. But what can the
single adults do to meet people they can date?
We have one young woman who had an emotional breakdown this week, so
we’re trying to help her. Some of them
have just been slacking off a little bit on their attendance, and we’re trying
to come up with some ideas to put a fire under them. We are going to try to encourage them to get
ready for a temple trip to Perth, even if some can only do baptisms. We’re going to ask them all for their input
this next Sunday when they come over to our flat for CES Fireside.
Yesterday we gave a Book of
Mormon discussion to a man with whom we have been meeting since we first
came. He is known by many of the members
as “Brother Love,” which he likes to call himself, but though he is polite and
“tolerant,” he claims to believe only in himself. He reads a lot, and claims to be studying
Buddism now, so that he doesn’t have time to really study with us. He
always welcomes us though, as he did the other missionaries before us, and I
think he seems to enjoy keeping us on his dancing string, never really getting
anywhere. Yesterday I was bold, and
surprised even my husband when I said, “Brother Dodds, we could stay and visit
all day and enjoy ourselves, but we are missionaries, and we have come a long
way at our own expense to tell you something important!”
We had challenged him the
week before to read Alma 32, and he did, so we had a short discussion about
faith, and then told him all about how we got the B of M and how it is evidence
that Joseph Smith is a prophet. He wasn’t
very receptive, but invited us back again.
He said lots of things about how “God isn’t a very nice god, is he,
since he killed a lot of people in your Old Testament,” and “He lets innocent
people suffer,” etc. You can see he has
a long way to go. But at least he read,
and that’s progress!
Today we gave another lesson
to Jill Jonsson and Carol Hardy. And we
challenged Jill to be baptized if she gets an answer to her prayers, and she
accepted! We set the baptism for the 22nd
of December. Won’t that be a nice
Christmas? She’s a sweet lady, probably
in her sixties, who does charitable work for others, doesn’t smoke (or drink,
that I know of), and has a close relationship with her family. We’re pretty excited about it. Thanks for your prayers, and please keep it
up! We are still hoping for 2 families.
Service--We still help out at
one of the primary schools here in Albany on Thursdays for “Breakfast Club,”
which means we help feed breakfast to kids who don’t get it at home. This week and last, I helped one morning in
the Family History Center, although I don’t know much about what I’m
doing. I did help one lady find her
family on Ancestry.com, which was fun. I
also went to Relief Society last night for a Christmas preparation night, and I
did some service by volunteering to stay and help clean up. And today I fed the missionaries. Does that count?
We received some nice email
letters from some of our kids. And today we got a letter for October, and one
for November from President Bevan. Thank
you. We love that. How is our home ward doing? We haven’t heard any news for 2 months. I would enjoy getting a note from some of
them. How are Tyson and Caitlyn doing in
our home? Is it cold there?
We often tell people here
about our grandchildren praying for us every day back home. And we know many of the rest of you are, and
we really appreciate it. I am spending
the most time I ever have in my life with that person, Ray Ashby, and I find I
like it! We haven’t had any problems
being with each other so far, but it really is strange to be with him this
much. He has always been on the move,
you know what I mean, and now he has to bring me along! I have to admit, a few tears rolled down my
cheeks when he was called up to the stand to take his place in the branch
presidency last week. I was sitting all
alone on my row again! But it’s really okay. It isn’t going to be much time he’s required
to be gone anyway. I’ve been doing this
since I was 24—you’d think I’d be used to it by now.
5 comments:
So pleased that all seems to be going well for you. It is so good for Ray to be a counselor instead of the President. He can advise and not lose too much sleep over everything. I'm happy you are having success in teaching people -- they must not be as stubborn as the Scots!
Our love always,
Jane and Brent
To help the young single adults, that temple trip sounds like a wonderful idea!! The CES firesides also seem to be a great way for them to get together!
Bold is good! Be bold with brother love! He has probably been waiting for that. What about just a game night for the young single adults? I think you feed the missionaries 3 x daily....absolutely that counts for service. We are wondering what dad's like? I think I have met him a few times briefly... :) I love you Dad! Do you remember that Thanksgiving is this week? I think you are going somewhere Thursday....Happy Thanksgiving! I am thankful you are mine! We hear that Tycen and Kate are primary teachers in your ward. Ekins keep an eye out for your house. We hear they are big time partiers...just kidding! I have a story for you about Canyon! I will email it to you. Love you and yes, we are reading again. WE even read all the ones we missed and commented so you will have to read those comments.
Erin said you were cold. I felt so bad for you because I dont like to be cold,but she said last night that you are now a little warmer.
Shirley Nelson fELL in front of Bradys and broke her arm. They put a rod in the top of her right arm. She also brusid her face very bad.She is now on the
mend. Now for the really bad news.Brice Foulon died,he was having seichers and they dont know why so they put him in an enduced coma and several days he died.I Also heard this morning that Tom Atkin died yesterday,November 20.I love you and knowing you are doing well.
The best part of our mission was the time I spent with Ross,enjoy all the time you have there.
.
I hope the baptism is still on and things are good! Wow! Love you!
Post a Comment